Jeffersonian Dinner Focused on Animal Welfare
August 11 @ 7:00 pm - 10:00 pm
This dinner will take place at the home of Erica Bishaf (address and contact information to be provided upon signing up), founder of Pet Gotcha Day, an organization that exists to increase pet adoptions and reduce the incidence of euthanasia nationwide through empowering animal welfare organizations with both standard and revolutionary 360-degree video technology that will engage, delight & motivate potential adopters as they watch immersive videos of adoptable pets.
Sign up here:
This topic for this dinner will focus on animal welfare. Here are some questions that guests will discuss:
- Does Chicago need to have an ordinance in place for spay and neuter? What have been the results of these ordinances in other cities? Does an ordinance address the root of the problem?
- Should there be mandatory microchipping for pet owners?
- Would harsher penalties for animal cruelty have their intended affect? By what criteria should animal cruelty be defined?
- What is the value of pet adoption programs? Should we make it easier for people to adopt pets? How do laws make it harder to adopt? Or should we keep strict laws in place to promote pet safety?
- What’s the difference between animal welfare and animal rights?
6. Under what circumstances is euthanasia in the shelter environment acceptable?
Menu (catered by Kitchfix):
House-made falafel, seared – not fried, and served with tangy, dairy-free tzatziki sauce.
Sides: Quinoa “tabouleh” salad and marinated cucumber, asparagus, and kale with lemon & parsley
Kale and Spinach “Caesar”
Organic spinach and lacinto kale with cucumbers, oven-roasted herbed tomatoes, and almond “parmesan (non-dairy)”
Housemade Vegan Caesar
Sweet potato cornbread (gluten free – ingredients below)
Sweet Potato, Sweet Potato Puree, Coconut Oil, Honey, Coconut Water, Salt & Pepper, Baking Soda, Pastured Eggs, Almond Flour (GF), Coconut Flour (GF)
Almond Flour Crackers from Simple Mills (Certified Gluten-free; free of Grains, Soy, Corn, Dairy & Gums/Emulsifiers)
8 SIMPLE INGREDIENTS: Nut and Seed Flour Blend (Almonds, Sunflower Seeds, Flax Seeds), Tapioca, Cassava, Organic Sunflower Oil, Sea Salt, Organic Onion, Organic Garlic, Rosemary Extract (For Freshness)
Nutrition bars from Simple Squares (tied for the highest rate snack bar!)
Each Square is not only free of gluten, but also free of wheat, dairy, corn, soy and refined sugars
Mixed nuts from No Denial Foods (gluten free)
TeaSquares (vegan, gluten free)
Within Without Granola (gluten free)
Superfood Fudge Brownies
Chocolate chip cookies from Kitchfix
Freshly Baked Chocolate Chip Cookies made with Almond Flour, Chopped Walnuts, Organic Coconut Oil, Pasture-Raised Eggs and a touch of Organic Honey
SOCIAL Sparkling Wine